New year, new goals… Betcha heard that one before! Ha, well… it’s true the new year really brings a feeling of fresh start. So, I always pick a word of the year (this year it’s HOPE), and I try to make a few goals. One of those for me this year is to read my Bible more. The past couple years I’ve really dove deeper into certain books of the Bible and it has been such a gift in my life. Diving into Genesis and Exodus last year for one was truly amazing. (I used The Rational Bible: Genesis and The Rational Bible: Exodus by Dennis Prager)
Now before I give you my tips… Let me say first, I’m no Bible scholar. I’m learning right along with you. I’m just a girl wanting to dive deeper into God’s word daily. I’ve just learned bit by bit how to get a better understanding of God’s word. I love learning. And I love history! I get so excited now to pick up my Bible every day and read. Once you build the habit, you’ll see what I mean! So, here you go. These are a couple tips that helped me…
- Use a Study Bible: This has helped me tremendously!!! Reading the Bible can be overwhelming… I get it. But, when you use a Study Bible it truly guides you through understanding. I linked the one I use and love.
- Use Children’s Bible: I’m serious… if you don’t have a Study Bible, or can’t get one… Use a Children’s Bible! If reading the Bible seems daunting to you start here. I used to grab my daughters because it was easier to understand. I would get overwhelmed and frustrated that I didn’t get things. The children’s Bible always simplified things in a way I could comprehend.
- Use a Bible in a Year Study Plan: This is the one I’m using this year for 2021! It’s not too late to start… The first week is very easy! In fact the reading starts off easier so they ease you into it. I like this one because it’s chronological, but gives you OLD and NEW testaments in the same daily readings. And… with all that is going on in our country today many people are curious about what the Bible has to say. You might be surprised to learn “The Bible in a Year” podcast is currently number 1 on Apple’s podcast rankings beating all podcasts in every category.
- Make a commitment to read the 4 gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John: There are 89 chapters… and if you start soon and double up a few days, you could read all 4 gospels reading about a chapter a day and finish by Easter!
- Download the Bible and make it a “widget”on your phone: (Have your kids help you with this! Haha My 10 year old set it up and I have no idea how she did it. But it’s amazing!) I’ve linked the directions if you want to attempt yourself, too! The widget will automatically display your “Verse of the Day” on your front screen. It’s a great way to get that daily reminder to jump into God’s word. Plus, I love reading on the Bible app… it’s so easy to jump from different versions, etc. On the app, I love using the Tree of Life (TLV) or ESV versions.
I hope these tips help you… they’ve truly helped me.
Oh, and I know a lot of people set reading goals in the new year… so I’ve compiled all my favorites into my Amazon Books and Inspiration Storefront. Great devotionals, books, and the Bible I use as well!
Here’s to diving into God’s more than ever before in 2021!!! Who’s with me?! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3.